[LargeFormat] Import duty and VAT ON Ebay purchases

mark blackman largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 7 02:30:05 2003

Basically, its a lottery. I regularly buy things from the USA, and would
estimate that 1/4 of them get 'done'. At least you have to pay VAT, import
duty and a 'handling charge' to the carrier. At worse, the package is ripped
open, the contents damaged, badly repackaged and then returned to the sender
because the UK carrier refuses the item as it's damaged! (I write from
bitter experience).

The best advice is to ask the seller to 'underestimate' the value on the
green customs form, as this is usually used to value the item. Descriptions
should always state 2nd hand (if appropriate), and if possible
'educational'.

On the other hand, I bought something on Sunday from a seller in USA, paid
via paypal, it was posted on Monday, I got it yesterday morning!