[LargeFormat] Wide Nikkor 90/4.5 Cover 5x7?

philip.lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 22 14:34:02 2003

I have been selling any f8 aperture lenses and buying f3.5-f5.6 when they
turn up at sensible prices.  On the 2x3 format there are plenty of 105mm
f3.5 or f4.5 Ektars, Xenars and f5.6 Symmars around, although quite old.
Sometimes this might mean giving up coverage for max rising front but at f16
there mostly seems to be enough.  The main thing is to try unexpected
lenses. Polaroid Tominons and Ysarons from 75mm to 135mm can be bought
cheaply in nearly new condition. I bought for my 2x3 Century Graphic a 90mm
f3.5 Mamiya Press Sekor camera lens that had been remounted in a Synchro
Compur shutter on ebay for the equivalent of $107 and this seems sharp at
the edges. The focussing screen is really bright. I know my late-model  90mm
f6.8 Angulon covers to 5x4 sharply at f11 upwards but I shall sell it if the
Sekor gives sharp corners on the Graphic. I just sold a f7.7 203mm Ektar and
bought a nearly new 210mm f6.1 Xenar more for the extra contrast of a modern
lens more than the extra 2/3 of a stop brightness;  screen brightness is
less of a problem with a long lens of modest aperture and the image just
snaps into focus.  PL

 With a beattie screen f-8 has been plenty bright enough -