[LargeFormat] RE: [Large Format] EBay

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 10 20:00:26 2003

Well, no, because the proxy bidding process doesn't disclose what your
maximum is. An opponent can figure it out, but only by repetitively bidding
higher and higher bids. eBay auctions are not like "normal" auctions. In a
normal auction, you pay what you bid if you win. In an eBay auction, you
pay what the second-highest bidder bid, plus one increment. The amount
you're willing to pay isn't disclosed unless someone outbids you. And you
don't have to be present at the end of the auction to win, because your bid
will automatically be increased as you're outbid up to the (hidden) maximum
you have specified.

The proxy bidding process is apparently not well understood by many people.
It is not an optional process; it is in effect in every bid placed on
ordinary auctions; it is not affected by the time remaining in an auction.

Snipe bidding can work very well against interactive bidders, and I'm sure
that many have used it to wonderful effect. I'm only saying that it doesn't
work against me or other bidders who bid like I do. If you win an auction
against me, it is for only one reason--you are willing to pay more than I
am. It doesn't matter how much time remains when you indicate your
willingness to pay more. (That's not entirely true, because I have, on rare
occasion, revised my bid upward after further evaluation. But it's mostly
true (or "mostly harmless", or "mostly dead")).

Stan