[LargeFormat] EBay

Stan McQueen largeformat@f32.net
Fri Feb 7 12:59:22 2003

At 08:44 AM 2/7/2003, Vince Dobson wrote:
>One more hint you will thank me for I'm confident.
>Everything I buy I enter my bid with www.auctionsniper.com - at exactly 7
>seconds before the auction ends Auction sniper places the bid with EBay for
>me, using my name and password. -- If you go there tell them "vdonti" sent
>you.  By not having your bid showing until 7 seconds before the end, no one
>has a chance to bid against you - which would increase the amount you would
>eventually have to pay.  I use Auction sniper even if I'm sitting at my
>computer.

This only works against an undisciplined bidder. Before I bid on something,
I research to find out what the retail price is, what similar items have
sold for previously, etc., then I enter the maximum amount I'm willing to
pay. eBay automatically bids for me up to that amount. When you come in at
the last second with a snipe bid, one of two things happens: either your
bid is less than my maximum, in which case I win the item; or your item is
more than my maximum, in which case you win the item with a bid larger than
I was willing to pay. If you bid more than I am willing to pay, it doesn't
matter to me whether you enter that bid 7 seconds or 7 hours before the
auction ends.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen
http://www.smcqueen.com