[LargeFormat] Input on buying an 8x10 enlarger

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 3 13:26:01 2003

Minimum requirements for an 8x10 enlarger is an 8foot ceiling,  9 would be
better and 10 or 12 would be ideal depending on the enlarger and the
enlarging you want to do.  First thing to do is measure your ceiling
height and location.  Significant others tend to frown on cutting large
holes in the dining/living room floor even if you do intend to put an old
trunk on top of it to hide it.

While dirt cheap compared to when they were new, a good 8x10 enlarger will
set you back quite a bit, several hundred dollars minimum.  If you indent
to make lots of 20x24s or are steadfast against other people's hand in
your work, then an enlarger might workout. All of my 8x10 stuff is contact
printed.  I've run out of wall space to send stuff out to enlarge.

Les