[LargeFormat] CLA

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 24 19:06:02 2003

There are two schools of thought about home brew CLA'ing

One is, remove the cells, drop the shutter in a zip lock bag pour in some
lighter fluid, let marinate over night.  then dry with canned air, let it
'vapor off' for a day or two, put the cells back in and your ready for a
day on the grassy knoll in Dallas.

I see two faults with this system:   1. It doesn't put any lubricant back
in. Now I've heard people say they've run their shutters for years without
a problem. Good for them.
2. While it might have softened the old lube it probably didn't wash it
away. Capillary attraction is powerfull and anybody that's gone to a coin
op car wash knows a little rubbing does wonders.  Once the lighter fluid
is gone, the old lube/varnish is back, maybe not in the same place, but it
didn't go away.

The second is the dissassembly of the entire shutter, clean it and then
reassembling and adjusting the escarpment to accuracy.   An ex Graflex
salesman said during training, Graflex brought the sales people up to
Rochester for 'boot camp'  During one day they had everybody sit down
infront of a Graphex shutter and a bunch of tools. "Dissassemble and
reassemble in 1 hour There will be a test on the accuracy of the shutter
after that."   After 1 hour most men (they were all men then) didn't have
half the parts back in, which is what the brass expected. After berating
them, they gave the moral of the lesson.  "NEVER DO THIS TO A CUSTOMERS
SHUTTER! Send it to us."

I fall in between.  I open the face, drop new clock oil or "nyoil" with a
tooth pick on all the posts and bushings I can find, and put it back
together.

Les