[LargeFormat] prewar Speed Graphic

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 8 20:07:04 2003

At 13:59 08/01/2003 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:
>The Kalart Focuspot is covered at:
>  http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-focuspot.html
>   The focuspot is an accessory that attaches to the top of
>the rangefinder. It is removable but can be useful.
>   I can't comment on the origin being to photograph bomber
>interiors. It was certainly useful for press photographers.
>Before the Focuspot Graflex flash guns had a flashlight bulb
>on the front to illuminate the subject for focusing in
>darkness. Hugo Meyer offered a similar device for use on
>their rangefinders.

This rangefinder can be usefully updated to the C21st by using a laser
light source in place of the focus spot light bulb holder assembly. When
you are stuck in bed it's surprising what an active mind can come up
with....... I modified a Kalart rangefinder with a keyring laser a couple
of years ago and it does make an effective focusing aid. The current trend
is to ban lasers from all public places so I would imagine that it would be
frowned upon as an aid for night portraiture.....