[LargeFormat] prewar Speed Graphic

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 8 16:56:26 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] prewar Speed Graphic

> The cylinder on the lens is a solenoid. Chances are the
shutter doesn't
> have any way to synchronized the shutter opening with the
flash going off.
>    By pressing the red button onthe flash it did two
things. it sent
> current to the bulb at tthe same time it engergized the
solenoid to trip
> the shutter.
>
> The bipost terminals on the top of your rangefinder are
used to run
> current to a bulb inside the rangefinder. by turning this
wonderful
> instrument on, it projects the image of the filiment onto
the subject
> through the rangefinder, As you focus the two images come
to gether.  The
> story goes is was designed to photograph the interiors of
bombers during
> construction.
>

> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 11:46 AM, philip.lambert
wrote:

> > Gentlemen!   Do you happen to know what the cylinder is
that is attached
> > my prewar Folmer Graflex 5x4 Speed Graphic's lensboard
and why the
> > rangefinder has a two pin plug sticking out?  The
Graphex shutter does not
> > work on slow speeds but 25-200 look good,  so can it be
fixed? The rear FP
> > shutter looks OK but it makes a real klunk whatever the
speed.  Is there
> > real chance it works right?   Where can I buy the hat
they wore, never
> > mind
> > the flashgun?  (no not the hat with corks round it)
Thanks for your
> > wisdom.
> > PL
> >  "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
> > To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> >  "Les Newcomer" <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
> >> To: <largeformat@f32.net>

  For lots of information on Speed Graphics see:
http://www.graflex.org
The Kalart Focuspot is covered at:
 http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-focuspot.html
  The focuspot is an accessory that attaches to the top of
the rangefinder. It is removable but can be useful.
  I can't comment on the origin being to photograph bomber
interiors. It was certainly useful for press photographers.
Before the Focuspot Graflex flash guns had a flashlight bulb
on the front to illuminate the subject for focusing in
darkness. Hugo Meyer offered a similar device for use on
their rangefinders.
  Both front and rear shutters can be made to work properly.
The front shutter needs to be cleaned, the slow speeds don't
work because the regulator is stuck with old lubricant. A
little lighter fluid in the right places will cure it.
  The back shutter probably needs some lubrication but will
'klunk' even when running correctly.
  I am surprized the front shutter does not have built-in
flash synchronization, I thought all of the Graphex series
did, but maybe not. The Graphex shutter is identical to the
Wollensak Rapax shutter but made for Graflex. These are good
shutters and can be made to be quite accurate and reliable.
If its a synch shutter it should have the same kind of
twin-post connector on it the Focuspot does. Cables for
both, and for the solenoid can be had from Paramount cords.
  You can identify the model of camera you have from the
Graflex site. Its probably a Pacemaker series of it has a
Graphex shutter on it.
  Repairing Speed Graphics yourself is not beyond doing.
However, if you want the camera to be like new contact Fred
Lustig, who specializes in them and has most of the old
stock of Graflex Co. parts. He has no e-mail or web site.
 Fred Lustig
4790 Caughlin Pkwy
Reno, NV
89509