[LargeFormat] Critique

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 25 21:58:16 2002

Dear Stuart,

     Please do not feel that we were trying to get your goat. That was the
Masons. They will return it when they are done with it.

     The rural classes of any nation are a unique sight. England, Australia,
Canada, South Canada - they all have their oddities. Look at Italy and the
wonderfully warm and cultured peasants of Sicily. Think of the Middle
Europeans and their stimulating life of potatoes and dung. ( I can never
remember which one was the food and which one was the garment.) Think of the
vast steppes where the Kulaks and Mujiks and Fagends all dance round the
village slush pile singing their famous Vulgar Buttman song. Ah, the rural
life.

     Of course, Here I mostly see the sun-baked mobile wrinklies of the
out-back. Covered in flies and piety ( Queensland) or flies and corruption
( New South Wales) or just flies ( South Australia ), they provide a welcome
relief from the dizzying round of gallery openings, ballet festivals, and
artistic extravaganzas that are city life. And they do not have mime artists
in the country, at least not in the districts that field a strong
skeet-shooting team.

    As for the English Rural Classes being beautiful or otherwise - well,
beauty , like eczema, can be an acquired thing. They can be improved. I like
to think that they will be improved, once the Labour Government finally
mobilizes the working classes and the illegal immigrants and institutes a
really efficient way of rounding up the country people. I think more use
should be made of football supporters in village sweeps.

     Uncle Dick