[LargeFormat] A better way

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Aug 7 23:06:24 2002

If I may summarise what I have learnt today:

Without question the ATL-2400 is my best choice. To take full advantage
I will have to increase my Provia use from 8-16 sheets per month to a
larger number.

Both the CPE & CPA have happy productive owners who would heartily
recommend them (although with far more reserve than Jim's recommendation
of the ATL-2400). A careful user of either should be able to produce
high quality work with either, despite JOBO's dark hints about
perfection & complete randomness with an expert drum - an engineer
friend who works on turbine design on pipelines will only chuckle to
himself when asked about randomness & flow patterns in constricted
turning spaces (I told him the job designing mountain bikes would be way
better - think about the people looking for a deal turbine for a 96inch
pipeline compared to buddies who want to upgrade their bikes or
volunteer as test riders?)

Both the CPE & CPA can happily process a normal run of 8 slides
(CPE/2553 drum/pair of reels does 8 sheets of 4x5 or CPA/expert drum
provides 10 sheets)

In terms of differences:
The CPA/expert drum combination either requires the careful use of
towels & vaseline or a bomb disposal technician and pump (I am beginning
to understand a few more references in Uncle Dick's posts)
The CPE is limited to 600ml of liquid vs 1,000ml for the CPA; and the
CPE is a smaller beast. The liquid limitation impacts the use of
dilutions for roll film more than sheet film, but still significant for
those of us who can't get over the lack of Pan F sheet film.

Outstanding question:
How can a CPE do 11x14 prints but not 5x7 sheet film? Can one use a
print drum for sheet film?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Hornford
"Once in a while you will stumble upon the truth but most of us manage
to pick ourselves up and hurry along as if nothing had happened."
    --- Winston Churchill