[LargeFormat] Buying and selling on ebay

Marco Milazzo largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jul 23 10:41:52 2002

Since we're off the subject of G Clarons, I changed the topic to "Buying and
selling on eBay."

I sell regularly on eBay (309 positive feedbacks), and love most
international buyers.  The majority pay quickly, and often in cash (!).
However, there are the few who ask you to falsify customs forms, or who
simply don't realize that shipping overseas is expensive and balk at the
final price.

I also buy things on eBay, and in general, I've been satisfied.  But my "Red
Flag" goes up immediately when I read weasel-words like "As far as I know,
everything works," or "The guy I bought it from said it works," etc.  Or
almost anything but a simple, declarative sentence like "It works good."
With weasel-words, if it doesn't work, they've already dug their
escape-tunnel.

My advice to buyers: browse early, when there's time to ask questions.  You
don't have to bid til the end, but know what you're bidding on.  Many
sellers don't want to mention "refund" because it invites buyer's remorse,
but many (like me) stand behind whatever they sell -- they just don't want
to say so until there's a problem.

Timing is everything.  I've gotten my best deals early Sunday afternoon, but
I won't buy on Sunday night because traffic is the heaviest and competition
is stiff.  Too many people surfing with a drink in their hands, working up
to courage to face another week.

More to the point: I had a Canadian buyer this week who asked me to mark the
customs form: "Photographic gear manufactured in USA."  He said that
Canadians do not have to pay customs duty on such gear.  Is this true?  Is
it true for any other nations?

Marco