[LargeFormat] Need recommendations for a 4X5 enlarger lens

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 6 20:51:46 2002

At 10:39 pm -0600 4/7/02, Marco Milazzo wrote:
>I'll shortly have the use of an old Besler 4X5 enlarger with a cold light
>head, but I need to provide my own lens for it.
>
>I'll be printing 4X5 B/W negatives to moderate sizes -- probably not over 11
>X 14 -- and prefer 150 over 135 -- but don't have any ideas beyond those.
>
>I have an old 162mm Wollensak, but I'm not sure it's as good as modern
>lenses.  Can you recommend a current enlarging lens -- Schneider, Rodagon,
>El Nikkor?  Are the APO- lenses worth the extra cost?
>
>Thanks in Advance
>Maco

Marco,

Save yourself a load of money and try one of the older coated
Schneider Componon 150mm lenses. I think you would find it difficult
to tell the difference between one of these older lenses with their
wonderful multi-leaf diaphragms and one of the expensive modern
counterparts for use with B&W negs. I use an old Schneider and highly
recommend them. I am not a huge fan of Rodenstock enlarging lenses -
having used several that did not match the quality of the Schneider
offerings - probably suffered from use and abuse but you only need a
few bad experiences to put you off......

Hope this helps,