[LargeFormat] Automatic Processor Enquiry

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 5 21:15:37 2002

Dear Friends,

    Real question here - and if you see it on other lists please forgive
me - I want a wide gathering of knowledge.

    I have just completed work on the Midwinter's banquet. Lovely job,
lovely people, lovely lighting. Two strobes, one backdrop, and an electric
Hassy with a couple of 70mm backs. Just collar the customers, stack 'em up,
and press the button. Occasionally quaff a horn of mead and throw an axe at
a Viking maiden and then back to the camera.

    I managed to develop the 70mm rolls with only minimal loss of fingertips
and a modest supply of language. All bagged, proofed, and shown to the
punters. Bless 'em - they went into an ordering frenzy.

     Now, I have spent the last week closeted in the darkroom fulfilling my
promises using a set of Nova processing tanks to pull prints out of. It has
been fun, but arduous. I think the time has come to invest the returns into
some sort of automatic print processor so that the next runs - the Taminick
Military Camp and subsequent big conferences - will see me producing the
work faster.

     Now I realise that the heyday of home colour and B/W processing is said
to have passed - and indeed it may have passed for the small business as
well, what with the advent of electric prints - but I am hoping that there
are still manufacturers that can supply small auto processors on a new
basis. I say new as I do not want to be locked into a situation where a
machine breaks down and there are no parts.

    I process RA4 and B/W RC prints. I would like to go as large as 12 x
16 - I am limited by washing and drying facilities. I would like to be able
to stay with a cold water wash cycle. If necessary I would be willing to go
down to an 8 x 10 machine and reserve the larger prints for the current Nova
tanks.

    Can anyone on my lists please advise me about manufacturers and
machinery available currently? So far All I have been able to see here in
West Australia are secondhand Ilford CAP machines and I don't trust them for
the future.

     Many thanks for the help.

     Uncle Dick