[LargeFormat] Typical - lovely weather for landscapes

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 21 20:59:34 2002

Dear Philip,

     I'm afraid Dave is right in a way. It is considered prudent to open
parcels I send with heavy canvas gloves on and your trousers tucked into the
tops of your boots. A long forked stick and a shotgun are not out of the
question, either.

     The reason for this, as Larry Hamilton can attest, is that Perth still
has a considerable amount of good bushland in and around what are peopled
suburbs. Just how many erstwhile denizens of the bush have taken to the
urban environment with a gusto is evident on our city freeway. I have seen a
number of roos bounding around Woodlands and unsuccessful foxes smeared out
on the side of the road. And as far as our slithery friends - well I was
pulling into the carpark of our local hospital a year or so ago and as I
waited to pass the little dinky gate I looked down and a 6-foot Dugite
steamed past in the gutter, intent on going across the road and enjoying
itself in the cages of the Murdoch University veterinary school. Or the
canteen, or wherever.

     Dugites are not deadly unless they bite you and you die - sort of like
funnel web spiders and redbacks and that sort of thing. Or sharks. Sharks
are fine in the ocean. I like sharks. I have an agreement with them - I do
not go in the water and they do not come into the saloon bar. It is a mutual
comfort.

    But  do beware of the parcels. The Fedex man gets a haunted look on his
face whenever I call him up.

     Uncle Dick