[LargeFormat] 35mm lenses on LF

Don Feinberg largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jun 18 17:26:46 2002

Generally, the "35 mm format" lenses won't have enough "coverage" -- that
is, their image circle will not cover the LF negative.  That is, they will
generate a round image smaller than the negative size.

Good thinking, but no cigar...  (in general!)

Don Feinberg
donf@cybernex.net
Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Penne, Phil" <PenneP@hsn.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 4:02 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] 35mm lenses on LF

I'm an LF neophyte (actually "neophyte trainee" might be a more accurate
descriptor), and have a question that should aptly demonstrate my obscene
lack of knowledge on the subject.  What would result if you took a lens
customarily used in 35mm format, and mounted it on a...say, 8x10 view
camera?  Using a dirt simple example: suppose a 135mm Pentax K mount lens
was mounted on an 8X10.  I realize this focal length lens mounted on an 8x10
would be the equivilent of an 18mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera (at least
in terms of angle of acceptance), and that provision would have to be made
for a shutter.  But in terms of sheer optics, what would the result be?