[LargeFormat] Camaraderie

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 19:08:30 2002

I figured they were probably same place, and the logic of the first
name/location being "pre-Arizona" makes sense.  By the way, around here
(Phoenix), they pronounce it Canyon de "Shay," I believe.  It is a pretty
neat place, as are many of the ancient sites I've visited out west, but the
haints didn't bother me any more there than they did growing up in my
family's old farmhouse in Georgia (the state, not the republic).

Schuyler Grace

Phone:        480.693.3569
FAX:          480.693.7555
CO-MAIL:        52N-AWT

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive Warren [mailto:cocam@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 3:30 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Camaraderie

At 2:42 pm -0700 5/6/02, Schuyler.Grace@AmericaWest.com wrote:
>Does anyone know if "Canyon de Chelle" (that seems to be listed everywhere
>as being in New Mexico, but I can't find it on a map) is the same as Canyon
>de Chelly in Arizona?
>
>Schuyler Grace

Well spotted Schuyler,

Here is a contemporary photograph:

http://uregina.ca/~sauchyn/geog323/298.jpg

While I was copying and pasting from the web site something didn't
seem quite right! It is pronounced "Shelly" but is in fact spelled
Chelle. Now as for the location - in 1873 it probably was New
Mexico.... today it is Arizona. Maybe some you historian/geographer
fountains of all knowledge can clear this one up.

The area is a special spiritual place for the Navajo - see
http://waltonfeed.com/peoples/navajo/culture.html They also charge
people who  want to visit the canyon floor and the ruins. It was the
sudden exposure to people and tourists that probably made me turn
tail - I had only spoken to one person in the preceeding 4 days and
that was someone I met halfway up a mountain....

I felt bad vibes from the moment I emerged from the Valley of the
Gods to the time I left the Navajo reservation several hours drive
later.

One of Ansel's famous photos was taken at the Canyon - of a Navajo
woman with her child. I hesitate to post this URL as it talks of
royalty free art, however here it is anyway:

http://www.royaltyfreeart.com/ansel/ansel/14_1417a.html