[LargeFormat] comraderie

Eve Girard largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 2 16:01:34 2002

    " Who do you consider your favourite photographer? And why? "

(rising to the bait, Eve sez)

I have gone through all the appropriate phases as a budding LF photographer.
Done the Weston, Adams, Strand, Evans, blah, blah, bit.  But rather than
just spouting an endless list, I'd like to throw out for consideration, the
name of  Josef Sudek.
For starts, let's consider the man.  One-armed at age 20 since the 1st World
War.  Done any LF
work with one arm lately?  One-handed processing anyone?
As for his vision, I have been captivated by it longer than  I can remember
(and I'm no spring chick, being nearly as old as Uncle Dick!). Sudek worked
in wartime Czechoslovakia when photography could become a death sentence.
He adapted and his "Garden" and "Studio" series are wonderful tributes to
imagination and creativity.
(besides, the "Laryrinth" series makes me feel sooo much better about my own
studio)  Rather than go on and on, check it out for yourselves.
So, there you have it, the opine of one old broad in Washington . . .
Eve