[LargeFormat] And now in contrast

Don Feinberg largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 24 15:04:09 2002

First, my experience is that attempts to modify the processing of C41 films
is very dicey.  Fuhgedaboutit!  And, I've had little success modifying the
RA4 process, either...

I've found the papers to vary more in contrast than most of the films.
Kodak makes a paper (I think it's called "ultra") which has about one
step/grade higher contrast than "normal" paper. (I consider the Fuji C41
glossy paper as my "normal").

To my eyes, the Agfa Signum paper is about 1/2 grade more contrasty than the
Fuji.

Some color neg films have more contrast than others, but in LF the choices
are pretty darn limited.  I like Agfa Optima 100 a lot for its saturation
and contrast, but it's no longer available on the market, and I depend on
the 250-ish sheets I have in the freezer.

Other than that, what are the choices?  Fuji NPL? forget it!  Kodak 160NC?
forget it!  Kodak 160VC?  maybe.  There just aren't any other films to
choose from -- not, at least, that I'm aware of!  :-(  :-(

Don Feinberg
donf@cybernex.net
Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit...