[LargeFormat] On my way to 8x10

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Wed May 22 21:57:06 2002

I've just made my first purchase towards an 8x10 system.
I found an extremely clean Rodenstock 420mmf/9 Apo-Ronar.
I'm building the system for copywork at my lab, so this lens
fits the bill perfectly.  I'm hoping it will also double as a nice
moderately long lens for the field, too.  The only drawback
is it's a barrell lens with no shutter.  Fine for the studio with
strobes, but outdoors I might have to rig something.  Perhaps
the old lenscap trick will work.

It's the first lens I've ever seen that goes to f/260!!!!!  Does
anyone know what the coatings for this lens are supposed
to look like?  The elements have a very slight yellow finish.
It's an older lens, so perhaps it is single-coated?

I'll keep you all updated on my search for a camera.

-Charlie