[LargeFormat] Ansel Adams (was 250mm Wide Field Ektar)

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon May 6 12:28:01 2002

this may have been a re-issue.  I know for a fact I didn't tape this back in
'80. Infact mine would have been from '89 or later.

My only war story with Ansel was that I was just getting into photography
back in '80, I was with my dad at the Detroit Institute of Arts for
something else when my dad caught a sign  "Ansel Adams to sign his books
today" And he was sitting in the corner with just a few people around.

dad turned to me and said, "Who is he, maybe we should get his book?"
"He's a famous lanscape photographer" was my only answer.

Dad walked over to a display, and picked one up..

"FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!, NO WE DON"T NEED HIS BOOK!"  He said in a voice that
carried a bit more that i wanted and he expected.

We left.

I can't even tell you the title of the book he was selling at the time.

On two different occasions I had the chance to meet and talk with Karsh.
I didn't make that mistake again.  I now have two of Karsh's books
personally signed to me.