[LargeFormat] Cutting Film

Jim Brick largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 29 13:24:20 2002

At 01:47 PM 4/29/2002 +0000, Pete Caluori wrote:

>I have not cut film, but I have cut paper to smaller sizes.  Having access
>to a paper cutter (yes, it works on film too) makes life easier, but is
>not absolutely necessary.
>
>Make a template for the size you need and use a sharp razor to cut along
>the edge.  If you have a paper cutter, then you just need to add stops as
>the appropriate size.  Good luck!
>
>Regards, Pete

One must be extremely careful when cutting paper or film. I routinely cut
20x24 Ilfochrome paper down to 16x20 and 8x10 sizes. Of course, like film,
in total darkness.

What one must watch out for is scratching the film/paper. The super gloss
Ilfochrome emulsion is easily scratched so handling it in, around, and
through a paper cutter, in total darkness, without scratching it, is an
exercise in carefulness.

Also, I have found that the best rotary cutters (such as the Kodak M3
series & equivalent) are what is required to do the job properly. Blade
cutters will cause the film/paper to shift while cutting giving you an odd
sized result AND a scratched result. A good rotary cutter and a clean pair
of cotton gloves will give you what you want. Exact sized sheets with no
scratches.

Jim