[LargeFormat] Ross lens, Epsilon shutter

Martin McCarthy largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 20 15:42:01 2002

Hi Folks

I usually use a Toyo 45C for large format stuff, but because I wanted
something a little more portable I recently (about 8 hours ago!) bought
a Speed Graphic.

I shot a couple of pictures this afternoon to try it out, and they look
fine - I'm happy with what I've got.

But I know pretty much nothing about the lens that came with it.  The
text around the glass reads:
"5in wide angle xpress f4.5 No 2059 Ross, London"
and it is in an Epsilon shutter, speeds 1s to 1/250 and B and T.

The only reference I can find to this lens on the web is on the MPP
users' page, so I wonder if this originally came from an MPP camera
rather than the Speed Graphic.
On the other hand, the plate that gives the table of shutter speeds
based on Curtain Aperture/Tension Number says: "Colwood Camera Co (1953)
Ltd, Authorised Graflex Distributors, London, SW19", so maybe it is a
normal lens for Speed Graphics that were distributed here in the UK.

Just curious to find out a little more.

Cheers,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</                  PGP key available
marty@ancient-scotland.co.uk    \>\  http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk