[LargeFormat] Re: inserting the film holder

Karl Wolz largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 16 15:46:37 2002

Hairy,

Your thoughts are correct.  I think the question was one of whether the rear
standard might be moving during the operation of inserting the film holder
and then removing the dark slide.  I have had this happen when using a
camera I was unfamiliar with and having forgotten to fully tighten down the
locks.

This brings to mind the question posted a while back as to whether a large
format lens is less sharp than that of a Mamiya 7's.  My immediate thought
was that the MF format is an easier beast to deal with and that sloppy LF
technique could well have a bearing on the discrepancy.  I don't recall who
it was with that question.  There were a few posts questioning the age of
the lens, etc.  My opinion is that, even with "classic" lenses, such as the
Symmar convertible, if good technique is employed, very sharp images should
be your result.

Thanks,

Karl Wolz