[LargeFormat] A New Toy

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 8 16:14:01 2002

Greetings,

Over the past few months, I'd been thinking (that's my first mistake) about
building a small, fixed focus 4x5/5x7 for portable/handheld use.  Knowing
that I've got a million other things to do with limited time, this is
something that would take me quite some time to accomplish.  Then on a whim,
I stumbled across a 4x5 Speed Graphic, of which I’m now the proud owner.  I
made a few exposures this past weekend and I’m quite surprised at how sharp
a hand held 1/50th sec. exposure can be.

In the past I’ve used Lexol to treat leather bellows, but I’m not quite sure
the bellows on this camera is leather.  The model I have was made between
1947 and 1955.  Does anyone know if it’s leather, or how I could check?
Better yet, how should I treat it as it’s a bit dry.

I also acquired a Grafmatic holder in the transaction and it’s interesting.
It’s smaller than Fuji’s QuickChange and operates a bit differently, given
it doesn’t have a removable film cartridge.  The one good thing, it can be
operated while wearing gloves, where the Fuji can’t.

Thanks!

Regards, Pete