[LargeFormat] Sally Forth Unto A Bright New Day

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 4 09:56:20 2002

From: "rstein" <rstein@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:54:44 +0800

<snip>

     And a final odd note - I visited my local camera knackers yard today
and passed the time of day with the proprietor. He advised me to purchase as
much sheet Polaroid for my 4 x 5 as I was likely to need and had capacity to
freeze. His reasoning centered around a viability issue with the
manufacturer and the unlikelihood of anyone else making 4 x 5 instant film
in sheets.

     Is this just a rumour or should I act accordingly and stock up? I do
use a Polaroid 4 x 5 sheet back for studio tests. Sad if it becomes a relic
- particularly since the Land Corp squashed the Kodak instant picture
business all those years ago.

     Uncle Dick

Dear Uncle Dick,

I would strongly advise against freezing Polaroid film; the chemical packets
will freeze and can possibly burst.  Polaroid can be refrigerated, but it
still doesn't keep very well.  I have found that color materials will pick
up a cyan cast and the chemicals will begin to dry up.

Using outdated Polaroid 8x10's, I found gently massaging the chemical
packets (being careful not to burst them) helped with even distribution of
the partially dried chemicals, but it doesn't help with the cyan cast.

BTW...photography is more than film, lens and equipment...I for one enjoy
some of the off topic banter displayed by this group and particularly Uncle
Dick.

Regards, Pete