[LargeFormat] Rome and Stieglitz

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 20 00:37:44 2002

On 19-Mar-02 Brock Nanson wrote:
> I haven't put 4x5 stuff in the hold yet.  I can't convince myself that the
> ground glass can survive any shocks, even in the foam.  Don't want to
> support the glass directly with the foam, for fear of snapping the glass
> with uneven pressures, but don't want to have it supported by just the edges
> either.  I'd be curious to hear what others have done in this regard.  Any
> foolproof ground glass protection ideas?

For ground glass on the camera, place a piece of corrugated cardboard over the
glass, then wrap the camera.

To carry a spare piece, cut three (or four) pieces of corrugated cardboard to
size about 2 or 3 inches larger in length and width than the ground glass.
Then cut a hole in one (or two) of the pieces large enough for the ground
glass.   Wrap the ground glass in thin foam or cloth, than make a sandwich with
the ground glass in the center. Make the inner layers from the cardboard with
holes, and the outer layers from the plain rectangles of cardboard.  Use tape
to hold the sandwich together.

--Michael