[LargeFormat] Double checking.

John Pass largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 18 11:37:02 2002

Hello list,

I don't think any of you will remember, but some time ago (many months)
I asked about LF camera recommendations.  I got some really good advice.
But I asked about the 4x5 format.  I wasn't settled in my mind about what
I really wanted then so I've been ruminating about it ever since.  But due
to a number of factors, I think I'm going to go with the 8x10 format.  And
the front runner for the camera is the Tachihara 810GF.  I don't need much
in the way of bells and wistles or movements and want to put my money
towards the lenses.  I'm to the point now where I'm investigating lenses and
have a couple of questions for you wisened (young!) sages of large format
alchemy:

1) What are your thoughts on the Tach 810GF?  (Give me the real story
you won't hurt my feelings!)

2) I'm looking for a good wide angle (35mm equiv to ~20mm), a good macro
and a decent portrait.  I like sharp lenses for macro and landscape (mostly
B&W, but good with color too!).  I'm really cluesless when it comes to
a good portrait lens (soft focus type).

3) Confirm for me my math: the image circle of 8x10 is
approx. 325mm?

Thanks for your help.

John Pass