[LargeFormat] Help, scratches on negative..

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Tue Mar 5 04:23:02 2002

Dear Achal,

     Jim has posted some ebay pictures to explain the metal film hangers and
a suitable set of large tanks. You can also find suitable tank-like plastic
boxes in the Tupperware, Decor, or other food container range. Try your
local supermart or discount store. If you are really hard up you can cut
down old 5 litre chemical bottles from the Agfa or Ilford line. The idea is
to get a vertical tank capable of holding those hangers with an inch of
chemical off the bottom.

    You have one priceless advantage right now - you have already developed
some film in the dark and that means you have access to a darkroom and you
are not afraid to be in there. Don't laugh - there are some newcomers to
photography who go to extraordinary lengths to devise daylight options
because they are afraid to fumble around in there with the lights off. The
secret to success in a dark room is to be the most frightening thing in
there yourself. I manage this all the time....

    Agitate the hangers by lifting them up, tilting them to one side,
lowering them down, and then repeating with the tilt to the other side.
Occasionally bounce the hanger slightly on the side of the container to
dislodge trapped air bells.

    The joy of 4 tanks - dev, stop, fix , and wash  - is you can progress in
one direction with the film and no backrun of contamination. No pouring out
solutions in the dark and splashing them all over.

    Timing? Well, you find that out from the maker's specifications sheets
and a little intelligent experimentation. Prepare to spend a box of film
finding out what it and you can do. But timing is possible with commercial
glow-in-the-dark clocks, process timers, or my favourite - the cheap
electrical discount store Taiwanese speaking clock. The accent of the little
computer-generated voice may eventually drive you to homicide, suicide, or
insecticide, but the timing can be remakably accurate, and if you have the
stereo on softly in the background it is quite soothing.

    Wash those negs well. Filter your water if you are not lucky enough to
have a pure clean Australian source* Use a washing aid if need be -
certainly finish with some Photo Flo or similar product, and give some
thought to how you are going to hang up the negs to dry. I use Paterson film
clips and hospital towel clips just pinching the least important corner of
the neg and the whole suspended in the cleanest part of the darkroom to dry
overnight. If dust is a bugbear, sometimes you can get overnight drying in a
clean space by hanging the things in the shower stall. Warn your
housemates.....

    Finally, Achal, don't be worried about trivia on the list. Trivia helps
us all - I have picked up a couple of vital tips on this list just listening
to the background. And remember - none of MY postings are trivial.
Inaccurate, biased, dangerous - but not trivial.

    Uncle Dick

*    We don't have microscopic things floating in our water. We have
crocodiles.