[LargeFormat] Falsh Bulbs (was Re: On Location)

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Fri Feb 22 14:00:04 2002

If you are building a bulb flashgun try utilising an old flashgun designed
for pf1 or pf5 bulbs using a small 22v battery and capacitor. Some had a
circular folding reflector. I think Zeiss did some. Provided the battery was
fresh the flash never failed to go off. I sometimes see little bulb flash
guns at camera fairs going cheap and am tempted because bulbs give much more
light than small electronic flashes but don't know if the 22v batteries can
be bought.(Bulbs can still be found)  I suppose two or three small 9v
batteries wired in series would work in a home made battery box.         If
you are handy it might be feasible to assemble a 22v capacitor flash within
the classic Speed Graphic (Kalart?) flashgun and use the big bulbs. Anybody
know what the flash factors are at 100ISO for flashbulbs or know a bulb
website? Philip