[LargeFormat] On Location

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 21 23:00:15 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@cableinet.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] On Location

> In the big wide outdoors I find the GG image plenty bright enough but
> in a dim interior it can be challenging if your critical area of
> focus is small. Having said that, even with the f8, once I figured
> out that my eyes no longer focus closer than 6 inches without
> assistance there was no problem in focusing......
>
> So Charlie, do you think you could be optically challenged like me?

Hi Clive,

Focusing is not a problem.  I use the lens mostly outdoors
and the ground glass is plenty bright enough.  The images
I make with the 90f/8 SA are in no way "objectionable".
I probably wouldn't notice anything if I didn't compare it
with the others.  It's more like a lack of contrast, or a lack
of edge definition.  My lens is probably about 20 years old
and has multicoating.  It's not a problem with flare.

I rented a Rodenstock 90f/6.8 Grandagon a while ago for
comparison, and the Rodenstock was noticeably crisper.
I haven't compared it to any other 90f/8 SA's though.  That's
why I wanted your opinion...to see if it's a well-regarded
lens and if I just have a slightly "off" sample.  I acquired it used
about three years ago so I'm not sure of the lens' history.

-Charlie