[LargeFormat] Focusing Loupes (was Re: Darkcloth hoods?)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Feb 13 19:41:12 2002

At 6:21 pm -0600 13/2/02, Lee Carmichael wrote:
>Clive,
>     I have the same focus loop.  I have never bothered with any kind of case
>for it.  I just wind the string around the barrel and stick it in my back
>pack.  When I am working I just wear it.  I have had mine for several years
>and have not scratched anything.  Any loop longer that about 6x is too long
>in my opinion.  You start to see the grain of the ground glass.  You loop is
>about 3.5x or so.  It will serve you well.
>
>lee
snip

Hello Lee,

Thanks for that - maybe I'm being too precious :-)

Agree with you about the magnification factor - 3.5 is good for me
and the rough ground glass of the trusty old MPP. There is almost a
religious fervor associated with opinions about optimum magnification
for loupes. Some people swear by 6x and greater but I have found this
to be too much even with a fine ground glass.