[LargeFormat] Polaroid Film

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 5 00:39:01 2002

On 04-Feb-02 Achal Pashine wrote:
> Hi..
> I would appreciate your inputs on the polaroid films that can be used with
> 545 polaroid back (I have 4X5 Toyo view camera). I am new to this field and
> would like to know pros/cons with various polaroid films. I will be using
> regular b/w emulsions, but I need to learn with polaroid first.
> thanks in advance.

The basic B+W Polaroid film for the 545 back is Type 52.  This gives you a
print.   I rather like Type 53, which differs from Type 52 in being coaterless.
With Type 52 you have to coat the print using an applicator provided by
Polaroid.  The problem with Type 53 is that it may be slightly less long-lived
than Type 52.   I think using Polaroid is good when learning because you get
instant feedback.   It is rather expensive, especially since it takes several
exposures to get an excellent print.  The material has a narrow range of good
exposure, even 1/3 of a stop makes a difference.  In some cases small changes
in development time can make a difference.

If you intend to use Polaroid materials, it is worth seeking out the
out-of-print book "Polaroid Land Photography" by Ansel Adams.  Get the second
edition, from 1978.  Perhaps strangely, it is my favorite technical book by
A.A.  Not much has changed in the Polaroid materials for the 545 holder since
1978.   All I can think of is the introduction of Type 53 and the sepia type.

--Michael