[LargeFormat] Temperature

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 25 23:12:07 2002

> Dear Les,
>=20
> 40 degrees F in Michigich in January. We are definitely going to hell
> in a handbasket.
>=20
This is the first year in a long time that hell hasn't froze over. Hell,
Michigan that is.  It's a small town about a 1/2 inch above your wrist bone
on the left (west) side. The Post office does a brisk business during tax
season.  Twenty years ago they got some national press when it got down to
-35=B0F and some houses' aluminum siding contracted to the point where nails
were popping off the houses.  A few people had heated bird feeders to help
the feathered ones, but the bird brained birds would take a bath and fly of=
and land on a cold metal fencepost only to freeze in place.

> Comes time to develop B/W film it is a choice between a developing time
> of 8 seconds or using the cold water jug out of the fridge. I get growled=
 at
> for this as it also forms the basis for Koolaid etc. I have offered to le=
> the rest of the family have the used developer as a basis for the cool
> drinks but they have jibbed at this.
>=20
> One day, just as an experiment - and it might be worth an article in the
> local idiot rag - I shall try mixing the Ilfosol with cold beer. I have d=
one
> worse things with handy liquids before and who knows what the phototrendi=
es
> will make of it.

Before Kodak came out the Tmax developer, there was a local guy that made a
great developer for Tmax film that used "a small bit of beer, that's used a=
a preservative"  Hmm I thought that only worked in humans and in large
quantitites.
les