[LargeFormat] Wisner and Ebony Field Cameras

Tom Micklin largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 12 03:06:01 2002

--=======14E3771B=======

>I say "had convinced myself" because I have been looking at Ron Wisner's
>Technical Field cameras and the Ebony cameras on their web site. The Ebony
>cameras seem to handle shorter lenses better than the Wisner - the Wisner
>cameras have wonderfully long bellows and will out reach the Ebony. Both
>makes  of cameras are objects of desire and beautifully made using
>traditional materials.
>
>Are there people on the list using or who have used these cameras? If so,
>some feedback on your experiences of using them would be very useful.
>
>Cheers,
>        Clive
Clive,
Very interesting. I have been using Wisner cameras for years and have
lately been coveting an Ebony.
I had a 4x5 Technical Field and was very happy with it - but moved into 5x7
and 8x10 exclusively.
I've used the Wisner 5x7 Lightweight for quite a few years and like it a
lot. I had him make a Black Bellows for me because that Red was just too much.
The one area of concern is its stability at full extension, but with
careful handling, I've been able to avoid ruined exposures.
This is also the reason I'd want an Ebony - in 8x10. I use a Deardorff now
and would prefer a lighter camera with more bellows draw.
It just seems that the Ebony would be more stable than the Wisner with
heavy lenses and the bellows racked out.
But I may end up with the Wisner (Traditional L) because of price issues -
big difference.
Tom