[LargeFormat] Wisner and Ebony Field Cameras

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 12 02:47:33 2002

You know the feeling - you see something for the first time then
after a long period of denial you revisit and find that all that
denial was pointless, you have found an object of desire!

I have been trying to rationalise for some time with my large format
kit, however do not have any one (4x5) camera that is versatile
enough to do everything well. Given that my next US trip will
probably be with only one piece of cabin luggage, have reluctantly
come to the conclusion that taking one relatively compact camera is
the way forwards. Until a few days ago I had convinced myself that
this would probably be a Korona 5x7 with both 5x7 and 4x5 backs.
Plenty of bellows, light, reasonably stable, plenty of movements,
"rotating backs".

I say "had convinced myself" because I have been looking at Ron
Wisner's Technical Field cameras and the Ebony cameras on their web
site. The Ebony cameras seem to handle shorter lenses better than the
Wisner - the Wisner cameras have wonderfully long bellows and will
out reach the Ebony. Both makes  of cameras are objects of desire and
beautifully made using traditional materials.

Are there people on the list using or who have used these cameras? If
so, some feedback on your experiences of using them would be very
useful.