[LargeFormat] Scanning large format transparencies

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 8 05:02:00 2002

At 20:39 07/01/02 -0500, Robert Mayrand wrote:
>Thanks
>
>Than maybe a simple light box with an incadescent ligh bulb would do a
>better job, or even better with a corrected blue bulb for color. I think
>I'll give it a try this week end. Please keep suggestion coming! Any idea of
>how much wattage necessary to get the best result?

I have never tried this but you will probably have to be careful to ensure
even illumination from the bulb whilst keeping it at a distance from the
trannie that will not fry it.  What about the issue of interference from
the scanner's own light source?  Guess you could disconnect the scanner
light tube if this was an issue - as long as the scanner does not have
diagnostic checks for the light actually working this could be OK.

Some people use small "light tents" made of paper/white card above the
glass/trannie that reflects the scanners own light. I was interested in
this approach a while ago for scanning 4x5 and larger B&W negatives. It's
on the list of things to try out. You may like to search the list archives
for the previous discussions on this topic.

There's also an excellent resource on the web for scanning that someone
here has mentioned before - don't have the URL to hand so maybe someone can
post it.