[LargeFormat] Fuji Quickchange Holders

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 7 10:05:17 2002

----Original Message Follows----
From: Clive Warren <cocam@cableinet.co.uk>
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Fuji Quickchange Holders
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 03:50:06 +0000

Has anyone used the new Fuji Quickchange holders? Similar to a
Grafmatic except that they hold 8 sheets of film rather than 6 and
they can be reloaded with your own favourite flavour of film once you
have used the preloaded Fuji film packs.

I will probably stick with Grafmatics, however they do seem to be a
reasonable modern alternative. Plastic septums rather than thin metal
probably means that they suffer a lot less from bent septum problems!

Greetings,

I have the Quickchange system and like it, but I can't compare it to
Grafmatics as I've never seen one.  The holder is rather well made and comes
with a nice case; too bad Fuji didn't think to put some type of belt loop on
the pouch, but it fits inside a large jacket pocket.

The film pack, which can be changed between shots, seems to function quite
well.  As you noted the septums are plastic and they do remain flat.  The
down side however, is that if you live in a dry climate, they can become
charged quite easily and attract dust.  In my case, a lightly dampened cloth
cures the static dust problem.  When cycling between sheets, the pack
assembly must be fully withdrawn, if not it binds on the way back in.
Simply pulling it out again (all the way) allows it to be slid back in with
ease.  Robert White's WEB site has some information on using the holder, but
little in the way of reloading and IMHO is lacking.  The septums seem to
sturdy/rigid and I don't think film flatness would ever be an issue.

Reloading the holder can be done as quickly as loading standard holders,
once you figure out how.  Again, not havind seen a Grafmatic I can't relate
to it, but the Fuji septums have slots on three sides and a lip on the
fourth.  It's difficult to simply slide a sheet in as in standard holders.
I bow the sheet of film and slip it under one of the long slots, then slide
it down to the short slot.  I then pop the other long side under the third
slot and gently push the sheet down, at which time it slips behind the lip
at the top.  I know this sounds complicated, but it really is a lot easier
to do than to describe.

The options that this holder offers are wonderful.  Last year I carried 20
holders and gear about 10 miles and almost ran out of film and I didn't
bracket.  Had I had the QuickChange it would have made that hike much more
comfortable.  If anyone gets one and has trouble unloading/loading it,
please feel free to contact me.

Regards, Pete