[LargeFormat] List Server Housekeeping - HTML: how to switch it OFF!

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 2 18:06:29 2002

At 5:19 pm +0000 1/1/02, Clive Warren wrote:

>All messages to the list containing HTML are now being blocked!
>
>This will be permanent as since my last posts on this subject 5
>messages were posted that contained HTML! They were bounced.
>
>This means that if you send a message that includes HTML rather than
>sending as plain text only, it will not reach the list and will be
>returned to you. Please post your messages again as plain text as we
>do want to hear from you.

Have just found an excellent resource on the web that tells you how
to send plain text only and switch off HTML in just about all the
EMail clients currently available. I am posting this because there
are still people having difficulties:

http://www.thepwa.net/members/disabling.html

The unfortunate people who have AOL 6 supposedly will not be able to
switch off HTML according to the words of wisdom on the page.  (I
recommend changing to Eudora http://www.eudora.com) or using a
freebie web based service such as hotmail.com, or yahoo.com etc.

However through the appliance of a bit of web searching I came up
with the following:

The AOL 6 client defaults to HTML formatting. unfortunately, it is
not so easy to turn off. (But you can do it!)

To disable HTML, you must format your messages in a specific way:
in your toolbar:
Click on settings:
click on Preferences:
click on "fonts, text and graphics"
there is a drop down menu for fonts
--> set font to Arial
--> set size to 10
There are check boxes for "bold", Italic" and "underline", make sure
they are unchecked.
Set text color to black
Set background color to white
If you only want to change this for one message (I recommend you
change it permanently):
In your toolbar, click on "write", and change the same settings there.

EMail me off list if this does not work for you peops with AOL6.