[LargeFormat] Another Processor Question

John Moore largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 1 23:02:03 2002

Okay, I've been lurking long enough... it's time to
get my feet wet. Like Marco's earlier post, I am also
getting back into photography after a 20-year hiatus.
During college in the 70's I worked in a couple of
labs in San Diego, and also worked as an assistant &
printer for a couple of local photog's. I was pretty
doggone good in the darkroom, and not a bad shooter.
But, now I fear I've forgotten most of everything I
once knew about photography. I've spent the last 16
years in computer-based graphics (mostly publishing)
and am now  trying to get OUT of web development.

I picked up a very clean Wista 45DXII and added 3
lenses: a Schneider 90, a Schneider Symar 150/265, & a
Rodenstock Geronar 210. This is my main shooting
camera, when I'm not snapping away with my latest toy:
a Franka Rolfix 6x6/6x9. I have, in the process of
putting together my 4x5 system, become an eBay
junkie... I've got WAY too many old Kodak folders,
Agfa Isolette's, and Graflex's laying around. My wife
regularly reminds me that I promised to sell most of
them... I'm sure I'll get around to it. No, really.

So, on to the first question: Has anyone used the
Dev-Tec processor for black & white 4x5 negatives
instead of prints? I'm thinking of picking one up,
mostly because of the motor drive & heater modules
with this package. It sounds a lot like a cross
between the Jobo & the Beseler drum. I have a Beseler
drum unit now, but I'm concerned about temperature
ranges.

Am I just being too cheap with the Dev-Tec? Should I
just go ahead & buy a Jobo system? If so, which Jobo
would be the best fit for 4x5 & 120 work?

Thanks, in advance!
John Moore
Ramona, CA