[LargeFormat] Who is Who

Stein largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 21:16:05 2001

Dear Friends,

    Well, that worked pretty well. Posting for a who's who, I mean. It took
ages to decide on an alternate identity and get the computer set up to post
out under it. I am still not certain if it got to all members but at least I
have collected enough addresses to begin.

    This is another instance of the usefulness of the Post and Internet
Directory program produced by Austingco. It converts the email address that
you put on the top of your message to an actual postal  address.

     This is most useful for directing printed flyers, Reader's Digest free
offers ( You may have already won....) and pizza coupons. If you don't
believe me go outside to your post box this week and look - you'll find lots
of this stuff. Remember to peel off the sticker and send the coupon in....

    Ah, but there will be much more for you in the future. Now that I have
your home addresses I can set to work and plan out a successful
round-the-world trip based upon your locations. As you can imagine, with the
Australian dollar devalued somewhat in the last few years, travel expenses
have skyrocketed. It is imperative to save on accommodation wherever I go.
Thus I tend to show up at your doorstep just about sundown with a flight
suitcase and a camera bag filled with an old Nagaoka and settle myself in
for a few days.

    I am not a difficult guest. I take my lunch out and I pick up the
bathmat after the shower ( In the case of English homes this is to get the
coaldust of of it...) and I always bring duty free liquor with me. I do not
insist on kosher cooking, though I do stop short of things on the plate that
have eyeballs and tentacles or are actually crawling away. I remember Ben
Franklin's dictum about fish and visitors stinking after three days - mind
you, with modern preservatives this can be extended. Duty free liquor is a
good preservative.

    Of course I do not expect the same sort of facilities in your homes and
studios as here in Perth. You may not shoot the same subjects that I do -
belly dancers and would-be glamour girls and costume societies. You might
not have the same facilities in your darkrooms - an old Fujimoto 450MD and a
few deep tanks purchased at the local hardware store. Indeed you might not
have the same dark in there as we do down here ie about 32 - 38 degrees
Celsius in summer and you can just pour stuff into trays and develop it
without any heaters. Gosh, I'll bet a lot of YOU wear clothing in your
darkrooms in summer. I, on the other hand....

    Well, we can discuss this when I see you. I'll try to give you a call
from the airport when I get there though with the security these days it
might be as well just to arrive and we'll take it from there. Do air out the
spare room.

     Uncle Dick

PS:     And I always tell the complete and unvarnished truth.