[LargeFormat] List Server Housekeeping - HTML and other Stories

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 18:16:25 2001

At 1:31 am +0000 29/12/01, Clive Warren wrote:
>>So, **PLEASE** do not send HTML to the list!  I am reluctant to reduce the
>>message size limit still further but this may be the only way to stop it if
>snip
>>
>>If anyone needs help in setting their EMail clients to send plain text only
>>then I would be delighted to help. Please direct your requests to
>>LFlistadmin@f32.net
>
>Have just set the size limit temporarily to 8kb in the message body
>after a quick survey of max message sizes posted to the list. The
>only posts to the list that have exceeded this size are those that
>have included HTML or large amounts of digests. So, if HTML is
>included in the message body the server will probably bounce it :-)
>
>Let's see how well this works....

OK, another one sneaked through, so...... there is no mailserver
option for MIME/MultiPart messages exclusion, however I have now
hacked the server to bounce any messages containing headers that
include "Content-Type: multipart/alternative" using regex to parse
the headers. This means that HTML should no longer reach the list.

It's a bit draconian in that all messages that contain any multipart
content will be stopped, possibly without a warning message, but hey,
you can only ask so many times.... :-)

Will monitor the situation.

PS Back home to an overwhelming amount of EMail! Think I'll just read
the important stuff ie list mail :-)