[LargeFormat] Who is Who

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 08:16:00 2001

Hi all,

I'm actually more a medium-format than a LF shooter.

For the past several years, I've been primarily into exhibition pinhole
photography and I don't use lens all that much these days.  This is perhaps
because I have become saturated with the razor-sharp images that we are
bombarded with in our daily life.  I also like the infinite depth-of-field
that you can get from pinhole photography.  Much of my work involves
movement in the image arising from the fact that I mostly hand-hold my
camera during the long exposures required by the small apertures of pinhole
(F120 is the largest aperture I have...).  I print my B&W work in my
darkroom on a DeVere 504, using the lith printing process which among other
things gives me very high grain images.  The end result is a style of images
that some will say is somewhat reminiscent of pictorialism but which I think
is quite different in nature.  Check the URL below my signature if you are
interested.

I have a monorail 4x5 (Toyo) and an old Linhoff III which looks like a
Graphlex with a couple of lenses, but I don't use them very much.  I rather
use the 2 pinhole 4x5 cameras that I have and I also built a pinhole 8x10
which again I haven't used very much.  I've been working on reshaping an
ancient field 11x14, but I'm still trying to resolve the problems of
vibrations on the front and back standards and on the body as a whole when
the camera is on the tripod.  I have an ancient brass lens on it with a
rather interesting piston-activated shutter.

Apart from the cost of 4x5, what keeps me from doing more is the
difficulties I have with the composition of images on a 4x5 or 8x10 format.
I've been shooting 35mm all my life.  When I moved to medium-format 6x6, I
soon got a great sense of the dynamics of the image on the square format
which I now find much more interesting than the dynamics on 35mm format.
But I just can't get good compositions on 4x5 format.  Perhaps I should
start a discussion on this.

The bottom line then is that I'm attracted to LF, but I still have to
resolve how to get good images on that format.

Cheers and Happy 2002 to everyone,

Guy Glorieux
Montreal, Canada
http://www.pinholevisions.org/exhibits/Glorieux/