[LargeFormat] color transparencies (and philanthropy) formerly HTTP and etc.

Bob Younger largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 29 11:24:37 2001

.......and if you ever looked at a superb 8x10 (or larger) transparency,
appropriately masked to block out side-light, on a good light box, you'd
think VERY differently about color transparencies..... They have a depth,
range and dimensionality to them that is quite difficult to achieve any
other way. And with modern equipment and materials, can be printed quite
accurately and comprehensively. Modern transparency film has exceptional
range, very realistic color, and is very adaptable in processing (except of
course with overexposure.....).

There is no merit in being a snob about a particular film, format or
technique (as long as you hold to the modernist tradition in large format,
of course).

And, as long as we're discussing giving away lenses and etc.....  Clive
maybe you could open a new thread. There are probably many of us who have
lenses or other equipment we'd be willing to share (permanently) with
someone getting started in LF. Many of us I'm sure got started in large
format through the kindness of strangers (who often became friends). Few of
us have the capability in the early going to just buy a new LF camera and
lenses; and often did not have the ability to even pay what the used
equipment was really worth..... Early on I'd have sold my soul for a fungus
stained lens that I could rehab (or just use.....) Then again, maybe you
don't want this list to serve in that role...... Maybe a statement one way
or the other could serve to either encourage this spate of philanthropy, or
tell everyone to hike over to some rec.photo newsgroup....

Bob Younger
San Diego, California