[LargeFormat] Critiqueing Photos

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 10 20:50:02 2001

snip
>I certainly agree that being able to accept constructive criticism is
>healthy and that you can learn a lot from it even if you don't agree with
>it.
>
>I disagree pretty strongly with the statement that 'we are probably
>our own best critics.  My experience is the exact opposite - we're
>often the worst possible editors and critics of our own work.
>
>I've been a member of a small group of photographers that meets
>every other week to do nothing but review new work. It's been
>an artistic lifeline for me - and I think my photography has improved
>substantially because of the feedback and motivation the group
>provides.  My final print quality has improved dramatically, and
>the *content* of the prints has gone through quite a change.
>Most importantly, one of the things I seem to be learning
>is to be a better realistic judge of my own work.
>
>Recently the group I'm part of has gone through some changes,
>and I wrote up a brief document describing it.  You can
>read a copy at http://www.groupf56.com/nwrg.htm
>
>Deep, meaningful, constructive criticism that helps the artist
>is possible, but it depends on trust, familiarity, and good will.
>I'd write more but it would be duplicating what's on that web
>page.
>
>It might be interesting to discuss what things make for good
>(read 'helpful to the artist') criticism.
>
>-Paul

Paul,

I am surprised that there is not a flurry of replies to your EMail!

Had a quick look at the group56 web site and it seems like a healthy
group of people who share the same outlook and can work together in
improving their process. This may be quite unusual.

OK so here is a generalisation... I have this feeling that the world
of large format photographers is populated by people who are fairly
individual in their outlook on life and pursue large format
photography as an expression of their individualism. Many of these
photographers are very experienced and perhaps do not want to have
criticism on their work - perhaps they do not care what other people
think about it and are happy expressing their own visions.

Discus....

People differ - I am my own best critic - there is only one
photograph that I have ever taken that I am happy with and that was a
6x7 medium format shot that I have shared with a few people.  All of
my other work , 35mm, medium format, large format. digital
manipulations, collages, I have rejected for one reason or another,
technical, composition, interpretation, etc etc.

The one framed print (3ft x 4ft) I like has been sitting in a damp
cellar in a place about 10 miles from here for the last two years and
I keep meaning to go and pick it up.....

So I am always happy and willing to learn from feedback/criticism
from others but am my own best critic!

Technical criticism is probably the least useful as many of us know
what we are doing with the kit. Robert Lawrence has made technical
suggestions to me on my work that I did find illuminating however.
Probably the most useful criticism is that on interpretation but that
starts to impinge on personal vision. Suggestions on alternative
compositions may be useful.

In all cases, perhaps if someone else makes suggestions about our
work then we are resistant as the new idea is not then our own and
our own personal artistic interpretation becomes somewhat diluted.

In any case, it seems that some people like constructive criticism
and some people do not. In many cases perhaps we are simply reluctant
to speak up and say what we really think - even when judging others
work in a competitive arena.