[LargeFormat] Scanning 4x5 Negatives

jpetrush largeformat@f32.net
Sun Nov 25 23:26:03 2001

From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com> wrote:

> Get Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) as well as just using the Epson/Canon
> software. for $45.00 or so(+ a bit of a learning curve) it will let you
draw
> stuff out of the neg that the proprietary software doesn't even know is
> there.

I've used Vuescan with a 35mm film scanner and can attest to its superior
performance, flexibility and improved results vs the manufacturer provided
software.  It is learning time and money well spent.

Out of curiousity, I visited Mr. Hamrick's site and read the newest
"supported scanners" list.  Oddly, the whole of the "D" series of Canon
scanners, including the mentioned Canon D2400UF, is *not* supported.  No
explanation why.  I found that a tad odd.

Another third party scanning software I've heard rave reviews about but have
no personal experience with is Silverfast.  Interestingly, when reviewing
their site, the Canon D22400UF is not a supported device for their software
either.  Hmmm.  Makes a lad wonder if the Canon engineers did something
unique, or perhaps a patent consideration, that third party vendors do not
support their otherwise fine device.

JohnP