[LargeFormat] 9/450mm on lensboard issue

Frantisek Vlcek largeformat@f32.net
Mon Sep 3 05:22:11 2001

I need some feedback please about mounting a 9/450 barreled apo-tessar
on (hopefully, if I bid well) 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Graphic...

Is the following reasoning right, please?

I just imagined the light cone coming from the lens to film, and I
fear that my idea of mounting it on the small graphic is impossible,
at least with 2.25x3.25 back. Why? The nodal point of the lens is
450mm beyond film plane at infinity focus. The cone of light quickly
widens. So to deliver a 2.25x3.25" dimension image at filmplane, it
mustn't be cut off earlier - I guess a lensboard holle would have to
have minimum dimensions 2x3" to pass enough of the cone to form a
2.25x3.25" image at film plane. And if the already small 23 Graphic
lensboard had this kind of hole in it, would it still be structurally
stable enough? Maybe it's even smaller? Anybody has the dimensions of
a 23 Graphic lensboard please?

Thank you
      Frantisek

Philip wrote:
pL> As to the 450 Apotessar, it must weigh quite a lot so you would certainly
pL> need to support it independently. I just made an extended lens panel out of
pL> layers of plywood and a black plastic rainwater downspout-to-downspout
pL> joiner tube.  I only extended the bellows about 70mm but it enabled the use
[...]