Re[2]: [LargeFormat] MF + movements

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Thu Aug 30 08:38:43 2001

I think the rising front was restricted by the underside of the catch on the
body (that kept the camera shut) close to the top of the front standard when
using the 65mm on a standard panel. A recessed panel meant the front
standard needed to be pulled out by the same amount as the recess depth,
which was just enough to clear the underside of the catch and permit
possibly 5mm of rise even though the bellows were compressed tightly. It
might have been more.  The 65mm has about the same angle of view as 32mm on
a 35mm camera and will include the tops of buildings  if you can move back
far enough. As to forward or backward tilt I doubt you could use much with
the bellows compressed but Angulons need to be used at f16 for max
sharpnness so depth of field would be substantial.without Scheimpflug. You
will want to experiment with different lenses.  A longer focus lens such as
a cheap 135mm Xenar would enable you to photograph a part of a building
(e.g. a turret) and here rising front might be helpful....there would be
more available when the bellows are extended.
The movements on a small Graphic are modest but what could you get for the
money that is better?  Here I could buy an old 5x4 monorail with rollfilm
back but it would need a bag bellows probably to use short focal length
lenses and permit movements so it would cost more and weigh double..   Let
me know how you progress. Philip
-> Dear Philip, I have another question about your old 23 Speed - you