Re[2]: [LargeFormat] home densitometry

Frantisek Vlcek largeformat@f32.net
Thu Aug 16 09:02:01 2001

>> Personnally, I have found it much easier to buy a
>>Kodak Reflection Transmission Densitometer via ebay.

DW> If I was in the States, that would probably be a good option.  Living in
DW> Canada jacks up the price considerably, what with much higher shipping
DW> costs, exchange rate, and (possibly) import duties.  Rats.  Getting a real
DW> densitometer is the better way to go, for sure, but perhaps I'll learn more
DW> by building one <grin>.

DW> Cheers,
DW> \dw

Don, I think I have an article on it somewhere, I will have a look in
my computer (the "archive" is in pretty bad shape now :( . I remember
the bit about closeup lenses. He inserted between them a ring of black
paper, to eliminate reflections and flare. Makes sense, but you would
have to experiment with the right size. You don't have to buy Kenkos -
your local optician would be more than willing to make you few 10
diopters lenses for almost a smile compared to photographic CUs. And
you can get 46mm filters inexpensively, some used or even busted
filters will do, just remove the remains of glass, and put the CU lens
cut to diameter into it, and screw in the retainer. I will have a look
for the article. Please share your experience, I have an Spotmeter V
too (I think the latest version, which is supposed to be much more
linear than the earlier versions), and used densitometers are even
more expensive here in Europe than in Canada (unless you want to trust
a 50 year old densitometer big like your computer monitor, propably
great in its time, but now? calibration? ...)

Frantisek