[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Karl Wolz largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 15 18:28:17 2001

If you're of a mind to shoot at ANY location, a couple months is
appropriate.  It takes time to learn one's way around and to get through
with shooting the trite and mundane postcard stuff that you can't help
feeling obligated to point the camera at.  After a time, you begin to
identify with the region, and only then can you actually get down to
shooting meaningful photos (that's me, anyway).

The best shots (other than a lucky grab shot or two) that I have seen of the
Grand Canyon were taken by a person who worked there all summer as a ranger,
and who always had his 4x5 with him.  Incredible atmospheric effects and
views from locations that only a resident would know about.

BTW, I'd love to spend my summer in the UK, where it is considerably cooler
than our 110 degree temperatures.

Quite pleasant in October.  If you're planning on spending time in the
desert itself, September is really too early.  The edge is taken off of the
desert heat, and most likely not any snow up north or in the higher
elevations yet, though evenings can be nippy, with the dry desert air.  I'd
like to spend a bit of time in Zion when it's not packed canyon wall to
canyon wall with tourists.  Perhaps this year, if you make it over, you'll
see fit to drop me a line (hint, hint). ;-)

Karl