[LargeFormat] Large format photography with tripod in Paris

Jeff Schraeder largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 21 07:18:06 2001

Will,
I was in Paris last November with my tripod and a Fuji
GSW690 which is about the size of a small view camera.
I was worried about permits, etc. A Parisean
professional photographer advised me not to worry
about it. Just set up, take pictures and if I was
questioned to plead ignorance and quietly fold up my
gear. No trouble would ensue. I spent three weeks
taking pictures all over Paris and no one even noticed
me. I set up my tripod in front of a police station
during the day with a steady stream of policemen going
by and they never even nodded in my direction. I
bought all my film and chemicals in Paris and
developed the negs there to avoid xrays at the
airport. Paris is a northern city and the light was
rather low so I needed a fast film for most
situations. Good luck, let us know about the
experience when you get back.
Jeff